How to Develop A WordPress Site - From Localhost To a Hosting On a Live Server (PART 1)
Longtime ago, developing websites was left for the geeky few. Those who knew how to write HTML and CSS codes with ease. Though they still continue to do that job with more grace, today, everyone and anyone can have their websites up and running within no time; thanks to Content Management Systems (CMS) such a WordPress, Drupal, Joomla and the rest.
Though CMS’s have made it easier to develop sites, few, especially those who are new to website development have not been able to use this opportunity fully. The following series of posts, are meant to guide you on how to adapt WordPress platform, install it on your machine, how to write posts, articles, how to install themes and plugins and lastly how to host, and configure live web server to make your site available to the rest of the world.
How to WordPress Installation Environment
Before you can make use WordPress, you need to set up your local machine. To do this, you have to get localhost server and download the latest release of WordPress from their official website. Here is how you go about the whole process:
a) Download and Install a Webserver
There are many WordPress that one can use to host their website locally. But in this tutorial, we will be making use of Xampp from Apache as our local web server. This, will be one that will be used to host the WordPress site to be created and make it possible to edit, add and delete content. It is important to note that if the website you create cannot run on a localserver, chances are that it will not run on a live host. These are the steps towards downloading and installing xampp:
1. Go to apache website and download XAMPP for windows installer
2. Download and save the file to your hard drive.
3. Run the installer while accepting the default settings.
4. Click accept when you are asked if you want to start XAMPP control panel.
5. Click on all the service icons and wait for them to install the services.
After successful installation, click on the start buttons of Apache and MySQL to start those services. The Apache, will serve as the server 7. To see if the installation was successfully, start your web-browser and on the url bar type “localhost” (without the quotes). It should bring you a XAMPP screen to indicate a successful installation.
b) How to Set-up Your WordPress Database
After successfully installing a web server, the next step is setting up your database. A database is important since it is the one that will store the passwords you create and other content necessary for your site. Here is how to go about setting up the database:
1. Type “localhost” on your browser and select the language to use.
2. On the “Tools” section, click on phpMyAdmin, then click on “Databases”. On the box “Create database”, type your preferred database name. In this case type”[email protected]” and then click on create.This will create a database with that name
c) How to Download and Prepare Your WordPress Download for Installation
1. Go to the WordPress official site.
2. Click on the download link given. There are two file formats available for download; .zip and .tar.gz, choose the .zip file format
3. After clicking on the selection, save the file to a location where you will easily locate. Wait for for the download to complete.
4. Open the file location where you have downloaded the file and uncompress it using any of the file compression tools. Once you have uncompressed, double click on that folder. Inside you will find a folder named WordPress, rename it to techwalls101.
That is all for now. In the next tutorial (PART 2), we will be covering on how to install WordPress and make it usable.